June 9, 2010

back to work

LAST YEAR I WORKED as associate producer FOR a show produced by byu broadcasting, THE GENERATIONS PROJECT .  associate producer is a fancy title that pretty much means i was their gofer, the one who gets to do whatever the producer and exec producer needed done.  i'd be the one making coffee if people drank coffee at byu broadcasting.  joking aside, i actually got to spend countless hours doing research and figuring out ways to enrich the stories with good content, contacted interesting participants, arranged for the shoots on location, coordinated the logistics of the episodes, etc...  but if they drank coffee, yes, that would've been my job, too.    

I HAD originally BEEN HIRED TO WORK ON A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THE development and growth of the MORMON CHURCH in brazil, BUT THAT project GOT PUT ON HOLD so i got shifted around and became a part of the generations team.  i had the chance to go on production, which was insane and fun at the same time, but most of all i learned a lot about the structure of those programs.  i went in clueless and had a crash course that taught me tons.  i still have a world to learn, but after my experience with generations i felt a little less lost.

unfortunately the documentary project was still in limbo land when I WRAPPED UP MY CONTRACT WITH the GENERATIONS project, so i WENT BACK TO my full time job of BEING A MOM and a wife back in september of last year.  then A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO I GOT A PHONE CALL from the line producer i had worked with, and she told me the GOOD NEWS: THE DOCUMENTARY WAS being considered TO BE SHOT, this time with a hard push to have it finished ASAP, and they wanted to ask me if i was still interested in participating.  HECK YEAH!  this documentary combines two things I LOVE deeply: the gospel and the people of brazil.  so i have a huge personal interest in BEING A PART OF SOMETHING SO CLOSE TO MY HEART

i spoke again with them this past week, and it seems this time things will really happen.  they've requested that i take a look at the script, where we left it off, and add any changes i see fit.  we'll flesh it out sometime in the next few weeks, and i'll be back at setting up the episodes (there will be between 3 to 4 hours of content).   

I'M EXCITED, of course, and hopeful that this time i'll have the chance to finish this project.  there are other personal projects on my horizon, so THIS IS THE PERFECT TIMING for the documentary to come together before i move on to other fun pastures i have planned for my life.

2 comments:

Shanna said...

Well let me know when it will air. We get BYU channel.

riomuse said...

it won't air for a while... we shoot some time in the fall, according to what i've been told (which can change), so the earliest would be some time early next year. but i'll keep you posted for sure! :)